Saturday, August 11, 2012

It is always hard to say good-bye

All good things must come to an end, and so it was that we had our last day in paradise exploring the highest hill on Aitutaki, Mount Maungapu, which gives a 360 degree view of the Aitutaki lagoon and island.

From here we observed the spectacular triangular lagoon, the turquoise water, white sand beaches and neighbouring uninhabited motus (small islands), and Aitutaki airfield.

That last night we had dinner at The Boatshed, another fantastic dining experience on the island. The wind continued to whip the island through the day and into the evening, and therefore we enjoyed the view from inside.

We were on the first flight to Rarotonga the very next morning.

We said good-bye to Aitutaki.


Hello Rarotonga.

First stop: the Saturday markets, since they shut down at midday(ish). We didn't think we would make it, but we did, and we got stuck in to some lovely BBQ'ed meat skewers for lunch.

I like seeing little chicks running around at the markets. They were busy, just like these markets.

We had to get around the island somehow, and as we were no longer in Aitutaki we could not do three-up on a scooter with Kien sandwiched between us, so we got a little convertible to get us around instead.

This little vehicle is so damn cute!

We whizzed around the island finding nice spots to stop at. Over on the "quiet" side (not the Avarua to Muri lagoon leg) we stopped and threw some coconuts in this lovely bay that was sheltered from the relentless wind hitting the other side.

In the evening we met up with Leo and Gabby (whom we bumped into at the markets) for the closing of Te Maeva Nui - cultural festival of music and dance, and celebration of the constitution. Really good to see them again! When we said good-bye at the beach huts we were not sure whether we would/could find each other in Rarotonga.

We had dinner and watched one full performance before having to quickly get Kien back to the room to sleep. He was exhausted and definitely showing signs that he had had enough.


Early morning on Muri beach, and I decided to take Kien for a stroll on the sandy shores of the lagoon.

My boy has definitely matured during our time away. His sentences are so much more comprehensive, and he is so much more aware of what is going on around him. We have had to engage and develop his reasoning and negotiation skills; living within such close proximity with others means we have been hyper aware of his noise (whinging/whining) level.

We drew helicopters in the sand.


The wind died down and the sun came out the last day we were in Raro. We enjoyed a bit of time at Muri beach after we checked out of our accommodation.

Kien plucked up the courage to go on the rope swing.

To be honest he enjoyed it a lot more riding with his daddy.

Then it was time to head out to the airport. We caught the clockwise route bus and stopped in the main township of Avarua. It was Sunday, so almost everything was closed. Kien fell asleep on he bus journey, and Jef had the pleasure of holding him, so I was able to go for a walk around the quiet streets.

Kien was happy after his nap.

And then soon after it was bye-bye to Rarotonga.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That car is so cute! Your holiday sounds amazing, I'm leaving this post feeling a little bit jealous :P xo


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...